Today I want to introduce you all to an amazing designer, and now friend, Hannah Everly. She designs truly amazing skirts that are so adorable and feminine, yet modest (which is something we seem to be lacking these days). Through talking with Hannah, and reading her answers to my questions, I have gained so much respect for her. I think it is amazing that she started a company from practically nothing. I truly don’t think many young girls could do that. I also think it is amazing that she is truly ready to do whatever God calls her to do. I think y’all will be just as impressed with her as I am once you read the interview!
Hannah in her own skirt. 🙂
1. So Hannah, you started your amazing Etsy shop two years ago, what inspired you to start the shop?
Yes, two years ago this May! I couldn’t find skirts that were modest AND cute, so after struggling for so long I decided to make my own! One day I came out of my room for church wearing one of my designs, and my sister pulled me aside and said, “You could sell these.” The idea kept running through my head, and I decided that I wanted to take the leap and start a business! My sister loaned me $300, my parents bought me my own sewing machine, and my dad gave me my own little office to work in. It was a rough year of firsts, but I wouldn’t change it for the world!
2. Who are your favorite fashion designers, and what inspires your skirt designs?
Hmm… this is a tough one. I think in terms of high end designers my favorite is Valentino, and in terms of other small business owners I love Corilynn! I take inspiration from old Hollywood movies and actresses (think Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly) and transform them into something an everyday girl can wear!
3. For your senior year you are taking online classes at a Milan fashion school. What do you think this will do for your future?
Yes, oh my goodness I’m so excited! I’m going to be learning all about pattern drafting, texture/fabrics, and the history of fashion, so I’m hoping it will help me with my sewing and design skills. Next year I’ll probably take business classes at a college to deal with the less fun side of running a business. 😉
4. What is your absolute favorite store to shop at?
I know this is so mainstream… but J.Crew! I love how timeless their pieces are, while still being modern and fresh!
5. How would you describe your own style?
I think I would describe it as “vintage-preppy”. I’m definitely a girly-girl so basically anything I wear has a bow on it! Oh, and you can find me in dresses 75% of the time. J
6. I think anyone who reads my blog knows I love quotes. What is your favorite quote that really pushes you to achieve your dreams?
OH my gosh I’m obsessed with quotes! I can scroll the Pinterest “quotes” page for hours! I think the quote that has stuck with me the most lately is “Ask yourself if what you are doing today is getting you closer to where you want to be tomorrow.” As an avid procrastinator I have to tell myself this a lot, haha!
But while we’re talking about quotes… here’s a few more I love:
- “If you’re not doing what you love, you’re wasting your time.”
- “I want my heart and my passions to be the most beautiful things about me.”
- “There’s no such thing as ‘impossible’, the word itself says ‘I’m possible!’”
7. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
This is a tough one… I honestly don’t know. I would *like* to see myself living in a beachside cottage with five adopted girls and seven cats… all while running a successful business! But, if that’s not where God wants me in 10 years I’ll be fine with that. I just want to be doing whatever I can to glorify God, whether that means getting married or not, running a business or not, and having kids (and cats) or not!
8. What was designing a skirt for Sarah Vickers like? Was it scary or exciting?
Ohh I think a mixture of both! There was obviously a lot of pressure (because she’s American royalty!!!!) but it was also very exciting because she had been emailing me and encouraging me about running a business at a young age. Kiel and Sarah are both huge inspirations, and I hope I get to work with them in the future! (Plus they are the sweetest people and even sent me two of their bracelets! )
9. How many hours do you spend each week working on designing skirts or making them?
I work a lot, because…
- I have procrastinated from getting my license and therefore cannot drive anywhere. (I’m getting it soon though!)
- Even if I could drive I live out in the country and 30 min from everything!
But I think on a good week I end up working around 25 hours a week. (About 5 a day)
10. If you could fly anywhere in the world right now, where would it be?
Wow, how can I choose! Maybe Rome since I’m crazy about Italian food, and of course all the fashion! Or possibly China because I’ve been really into Asian food lately…
Thank you so much Hannah for doing this interview! I hope you all learned something about her. Go over to her Etsy page and check out her great designs!
What was your favorite part about the interview?
Thanks for reading,