I have been working on this post for a while. Throughout the past several months I have been slowly compiling a list of things. Some lighthearted, some not. Some are quotes, and some are just thoughts. Here is the thing, I feel like in some ways this list makes me seem like some very wise teenage girl who may have slipped up in the past but really has it together now. I cannot stress how false that is. I still mess up all the time. I still have friends yelling at me for how stupid I can be on the reg. I am still trying to beat everything on this list into my brain. This list more than anything is a list of things I should have learned when I was 16. So, heres to one heck of a year:
Dear sixteen year old Carrie,
- You don’t know this yet, but you like attention. The fact is, you like being liked. That will blind you for much of this year, but don’t let that take away from the fact that you like you too.
- You will cry and get mad at a couple of your friends for telling you the truth and yelling at you, but love them with everything in you because they wouldn’t yell if they didn’t care.
- The way people treat you is not a statement about you, but a statement about them; so for the love of God stop thinking you did something wrong.
- I don’t know how to prepare you for how some of your best friends will let you down this year, but trust me when I tell you you will learn who is worth forgiving, and what forgiveness really is.
- Every single one of your feelings is valid.
- Eating ice cream at midnight is amazing and you should do it all the time.
- You will be shocked by the people you now call your best friends, but they are the best people on earth and love you more than you know. Also, y’all will help each other get through everything this year so you owe them a big thank you.
- The only way he wins is if you allow him to change your heart. He doesn’t win unless you stoop to his level. There is a lot of strength in staying soft.
- Writing and reading are amazing forms of therapy and I strongly recommend you never hold back on doing either.
- Speaking of, never be afraid to ask for help.
- Please make sure you are always in charge of your happiness and self worth. It is so easy to give that power over to other people, but it is also very dangerous.
- YO, HUN, you should trust him when he says he isn’t a good guy. Translation: he doesn’t care enough to change. 🙂
- Go to every dance and every silly school function. Trust me you will love them all.
- You’re amazing and funny and really cool and you have a lot to offer and you should always remember that!
- Literally if there is one thing you need to do it’s this: Stop romanticizing those who have hurt you.
- People look up to you and care about what you have to say. Remember this when you feel like you have nothing to give.
At the end of the year you’ll look back and be amazed. While parts of this year were rough to say the least you got through them with amazing people by your side. You made awesome memories and had a hell of a lot of fun. All I can say is I hope it only gets better from here.
Seventeen year old Carrie